Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mercer Island Half Marathan Review 13.1 mile time 1:47:08 PR

When we arrived on the island about 7:00am, I was surprised to see how easily it was to find a parking place. The parking lot at Chase bank was a perfect; we walked over to the community center, got our bibs and were good to go. Everyone there was friendly and informative, which was a big help. The only thing that could have been improved was enough restrooms to accommodate all the runners.

The start of the race it was pretty crowded, but everyone was so eager to run it didn’t matter to us. There were a lot of spectators to encourage us along the way. I enjoyed the residents at an elderly facility just past City Hall. I was really hot by then and I had on a brand new Nike dry fit t-shirt; once I saw a fan waving at the runners I asked her to hide my shirt and threw it over. It was still there when I came back to get it; an honest town, how nice!

The hills were long and steep, but it sure felt good to sprint down them. I discovered that if I shorten my stride and leaned into the hill, it was easier to go up at a decent pace. Coming down, I would use all that free energy and the knees I still have! It really helped make up time.

The fans were so amazing and cheered us on the whole way. I run for a young woman who died of cancer last year named Ashleigh. I have never met her, but her fight with cancer changed my life forever and made me a stronger person. Ashleigh made me want to live and want to continue to be a better wife, mother and friend. I felt her precious presence the whole race.

Lots of people were running for someone they loved who has either passed, or is fighting now from cancer. We can always feel good about finishing a hard race when we have a great cause to run for.

The end of the race was very difficult, but everyone around me was so encouraging; the people I was pacing helped me a lot too! (They did not know it until the end, ha ha.) I felt I ran a good race by finishing 19th in my age bracket (40-45). With the time of 1:47:08, I know I can be proud of myself.



Mercer Island Half Marathon, you all put on an amazing race and I will continue to come every year. Thank You!

No comments: