Friday, April 2, 2010

To Eat or not to Eat …. Before a Run?


Experts say: “When you begin a run, you should feel neither starved nor stuffed. You don't want to eat immediately before running because it may lead to cramping. Running on an empty stomach may cause you to run out of energy. You best bet is to eat a light snack or meal about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before you start running.” runner people

I say: If you usually run out of steam during your long runs, eat 2 hours before your run.  Use GU every 40 mins of running and drink water.  I know what happens if you don't "YOU WILL BONK and feel like your gonna die" and ur coach will have to call paramedics to carry you away.
I eat cream of wheat and a banana just before every long or short run. When I get home from a run, especially a long run (or 10 miles) I eat a big breakfast.  It's FREE eating because you just burned a ton of calories.  So throw in a brownie or a coke if you want.  It's okay because you just burned 3,000 calories!  You deserve it!

I made the best scrambled egg breakfast the other day.



Janna’s Long Run Scrambled Eggs

Recipe: Eggs, bacon (a ton), Colby jack cheese, fresh tomatoes (Roma always), chopped spinach, garlic salt, and green onion. Serve with wheat toast or bagel. I sometimes put the eggs in a wheat tortilla with toasted potatoes (in olive oil).

No comments: